November 25, 2021

God Rays

It was still early morning as I drove to my appointment, and my eyes scanned the clouds above me as I wondered if rain would fill my day. The grayness though varied in its shading, and I attempted to look beyond the clouds. It was then I caught the brilliance of light piercing the darkest of the gray, and I was mesmerized even as I cautiously drove forward. The light almost seemed to dance, and in its pulsing, the beams of sunlight shouted to me of my God. My heart had been pondering not only what was above, but also, what was within me, and I was dramatically reminded of the God – my God – who can show up so vividly when the clouds of gray want to wrap me in a dismal forecast of drenching rain. My radio was on, and the lyrics I heard, harmonized with the music of the sunbeams, and with the truth of God’s Word. The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display His craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make Him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard. God rays. The one who isn’t really watching or listening simply says they are a sun and some clouds. To the believing, or even searching, heart, God rays speak – they shout! – without a word, and they are heard by those who want to hear. On that day, I so much wanted to hear. I was keeping up with routines, but I was also adjusting schedules as busyness and the needs of others were escalating. Health issues were persisting or suddenly descending. For some I knew, death was taunting, grief sat on the horizon, and the thought that death could be better than life seemed plausible. Questions needing answering. Relationships crying out for understanding and healing. And I saw my God. Not visibly. Not tangibly. But my heart saw, and my spirit was reminded that my God is always, always with me. He never fails. He never abandons me, or those I love. And He gives and He gives, and He gives again. No, He doesn’t always eradicate the turmoil, but He can and does quiet it, and shows me the walkable path He will walk with me on. I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. And God kept speaking and revealing Himself, encouraging and reminding me still more. Notes of encouragement came from others, and even flowers and cookies. I heard the laughter of a friend who was facing her own turmoil. I was reminded of relationships that have given to me when giving didn’t seem possible. The unexpected hugs came, sometimes, yes, with a phone call. My grandson calls Backgammon a crazy game, but playing it with him reminds me God loves even in the seemingly little things. God rays. I want to keep my eyes wide open, and I want to keep on listening. – Bev (Related Bible reading: Psalm 19:1-3; Psalm 40:1-3)