May 11, 2023

He Heals the Brokenhearted

Psalms 147:3-5 “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit.” I’ve been thinking a lot about how special and unique the Lord created a mother’s love for her child; it is like no other love found on this earth; it is a protective and fierce love, a deep and unconditional love that belongs only to that child. It is a love that is unequaled and unusual in that a mother is truly willing to lay her life down for that child. And that is exactly what she does the moment that baby comes into the world; she puts herself on the back burner and places her child before her each and every day and every single decision she makes, she makes for the sake of that child’s well-being and for that child’s future. There was a bond that occurred in the womb when the Lord attached my child to me with a life-giving rope called an umbilical cord and that rope forever links me and my son together and from the moment I held him, I knew a completely different and distinctive kind of love. When the Lord took my child to his eternal home in Heaven, a huge piece of me left this earth and only a part of me remains here. The Lord says that He heals the brokenhearted and binds up our wounds, but He doesn’t say how long that process will take. I believe for mothers who have lost children, that part of ourselves will never ever return to us until we see our children once more, face to face in Heaven. But in the meantime, our God is still great and mighty in power and His understanding is limitless. He truly understands this type of love because God sent His one and only Son to earth so that we would know His heart, so that we would understand His protective, fierce love, His deep and unconditional love, that is unique and unequivocal, that is only reserved for His children. The Bible talks a lot about the brokenhearted and those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18 says, “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” After the death of my precious child, I was inconsolable, I cried myself to sleep with guttural cries that came from the deep substrata of my soul; the pain and ache that consumed me as a result of losing my son seemed to me that it would overtake me and that I would truly die. When I woke the next morning, the ache in my heart was even greater and the hole in my family was evident by the fact that he was no longer here on this earth and the knowledge that my family is now incomplete just broke me and for just a moment, my faith wavered. I reached for my phone and there from my pastor was a message telling me there were ten things God wanted me to remember during this time, ten promises He wanted me to know. 1. I will give rest. 2. I will strengthen you. 3. I will answer you. 4. I believe in you. 5. I will bless you. 6. I am for you. 7. I will not fail you. 8. I will provide for you. 9. I will be with you. And 10. I will love you. As I opened the word for my morning devotion and I asked myself, “why do I doubt His love for me, when He is so faithful?” I know if I had His perspective, that I would understand why He took such a beautiful gift He had given me, away; I would understand His purpose and His plan for my life from here on out, but at that moment and time I did not understand; all I knew was the pain and sorrow, the grief and the heartache were fresh and raw. And once again, He brings me to my life verse, “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10.) – Melody