July 18, 2024

The Deeper Things of God

1 Corinthians 2:10 “The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.” Suffering has a way of driving us into the arms of our Father. Before this significant and tragic event happened in my life, I was pretty content with my relationship with the Lord. I got up every morning and did my devotion; I applied the principles of Jesus’ teachings to my life as a mother, a wife, a friend, a daughter, an employee, and as a person. But something happened to me when my child died. All of a sudden, my pain and my sorrow drove me to search for a new level of significance in my relationship with the Lord. I no longer was satisfied with just applying His principles to my life; I wanted the truth; I wanted real answers; I needed God’s wisdom and understanding of the bigger picture, and I quickly came to realize it was not something I could wrap my mind around; it was not intellectual. It could only be revealed to me by the Holy Spirit. I could not explain it, but there was an overwhelming longing in my heart for the wisdom of God, and there was this insatiable desire that could not be quenched on this side of Heaven. 1 Corinthians 2:14 goes on to say, “The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.” The gospel remains hidden from those who do not know Him, and they are blinded because they do not even understand their need for a Savior. Significant suffering in one’s life can leave a huge hole, and the sufferings in this world may send many on life-long searches for answers. There are those who study world religions and who have traveled to far away and sacred places in search of truth, but it is not something that can be discovered by the human mind. Oswald Chambers said, “It is God who creates this sense of need in a human being, but that person remains totally unaware of his need until God makes Himself evident.” The wisdom that saves, which man’s wisdom cannot know, is only revealed to us by God, who gives us spiritual discernment through the illumination of the Word. This kind of wisdom will never be known to those who are unconverted or who lack a supernatural life, or to those who are on a mere intellectual journey. He makes Himself known to all believers who seek to understand the deeper things of God, and it is only through His divine agent, the Holy Spirit, who can illuminate God’s divinely written truth. There is an emptiness and a void that is left behind with the death of a loved one. There are questions that remain unanswered when we face an uncertain future and when our world has been turned upside down. Trying to make sense of it all just leaves me wanting. God will always reveal Himself to those who earnestly seek Him and with the help of His Holy Spirit who searches out everything and shows us even God’s deepest secrets; we can actually see and understand the wonderful things God has freely given to us. So often times, we look in places where truth cannot be found; for me, it has been through traveling activities, my appetite, affections of others, and busyness. It is only when I sit at the foot of the cross and contemplate His divine truth, the Holy Spirit meets me right where I am and fills me up with the wisdom I have desired all along, and it is only there that I find the deeper things of my God. – Melody