October 2, 2024

Something is Rotten in Denmark

Proverbs 27: 23-24 “Know the state of your flock and put your heart into caring for your herds, for riches don’t last forever, and the crown might not be passed to the next generation.” The phrase “something is rotten in Denmark “comes from William Shakespeare's play “Hamlet.” In the play, Hamlet comments on the troubling state of affairs of the kingdom of Denmark, specifically the corruption. The Bible warns us to pay attention to our land. We are to be like farmers who are constantly aware of their herds' health and farmlands. As I look around my nation, I, too, see a nation in a troubling state. The Bible tells us that where there is moral rot within a nation, its government topples easily. That is what gives my heart concern. Life is uncertain. We need to pay close attention to our home and family. Rot doesn’t start at the top. It begins in each one of us. It is a heart issue. I wonder what my grandchildren, daughter, and son-in-law will face after I am gone. I am almost at the end of my journey here on earth, Yet I know that the younger generation has a lot to undo of what we have allowed. I pray for them and try not to be discouraged or afraid. The Bible tells us in Psalm 27:14 to wait on the Lord, be of good courage, and He will strengthen your heart. I pray for hearts to be strengthened and for us to be courageous in our faith. I know the end of the story, and we are told that all who believe in the Lord will live with Him in eternity; that is what I hold onto. Lord, I thank You for Your Word and for helping me through those times of fear. I love You, Lord, and I thank You for Your promises. – Michele