April 28, 2021

Trust in God

Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” Part of trusting God is having unanswered questions. He could give us all the answers to everything, but if He did that, we wouldn’t need to trust Him. Sometimes I have come to places in my life where I realize that there is nothing left to do but trust God, like it is my last ditch effort. I have done everything humanly possible that I can do and when I come to the end of myself and realize that there is nothing more for me to do and I have no other choice but to trust Him, it is then and only then, that I lay it all down and as always, His faithfulness never fails, He always comes through. His grace and His mercy are new every morning. So what if I had a mindset that I would trust in Him in every single circumstance and never lean on my own understanding? What if I retired from my self-care and trusted Him completely with my whole heart? What if said, “No matter what kind of problem I have, I am going to trust in You completely.” God doesn’t start taking care of me when I finally stop taking care of myself; He has been taking care of me all along. Psalm 55:6 says, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.” I am a runner and I can’t tell you how many times I have tried to run away from my problems. My natural instincts say to “flee” and then I will be at rest, but that is a lie. Running away is never the answer. God has given us a spirit, not of fear, but of a calm, well-balanced, disciplined mind (2 Tim. 1:7). God’s will for us is to confront challenges head-on, knowing the battle is not ours, but God’s. God cannot help me when I run. He gives me power and wisdom to deal with situations, not try to escape them. Avoidance and running away are not godly traits. Sometimes I get discouraged when I see that He doesn’t immediately answer my prayers, and when I have no vision in my life, it is often difficult to take the next step of faith. The more I read His Word and believe on His promises, the more I study the great I AM, I will become more aware that drawing upon Him is a privilege; it is where I will receive my strength; it is where I will receive my rest; it is the only place that I will have the peace that passes all understanding. Psalm 37:3-6 says, “Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun.” He is always before me; He is always with me; He is always on this path alongside of me; His presence is with me in good times and during diversity, during the storms, during the challenges of life that seem to overwhelm me. He is the One who goes ahead of me and He always is my rear guard. That is why my best efforts always fail, and trusting in Him and abiding in Him is my only hope. I read somewhere that if you counted all the promises in the Bible, they would total up to 7,474. Of all the promises in the Bible, the ones that often mean the most to me are the promises that offer hope at the end of affliction. Those promises that tell me, “It’s worth it. Walk with Me. Trust Me. Wait with Me. I will reward you.” So, “As for me, I trust in You, O Lord. I say, ‘You are my God.’” (Psalm 31:14.) --Melody