January 5, 2022

Grateful and Blessed

Psalm 90:12 “Teach us to realize the brevity of life so that we may grow in wisdom.” It seems sometimes when you hear about a loss, it can stop you in your tracks A dear friend of mine has just lost her husband unexpectedly. I can not get her and her daughters out of my head. It plays like a broken record throughout my day. I am in constant prayer for this family. They are not new to trials and maybe that is why it has affected me so much. I have watched her bury three children, the recent loss of a grandbaby and now the loss of her husband. When Job walked through his trials he cried, “Why won’t you leave me alone, at least long enough for me to swallow. Why make me your target? Am I a burden to you?” I too am asking God, isn’t this enough? I am calling uncle for her. How much pain can one woman walk through? She has been an example to all who have watched her walk through difficult times. She has clung to the Lord. She knows that Jesus sees and cares about her losses. Even in her losses, she has shared over and over again that there is a purpose in suffering. She has authenticated that by how she has lived her life. She has invested herself in God’s hurting people. Through her suffering she has shown us by example what was meant for harm can bring good. She has shown courage to be victorious. Death is the life alarm that reminds us no one will live here forever. It reminds us each day is precious. Each person who is in our life can be taken from us without any warning. Psalm 91:5-6, Moses speaks of life and how fleeting it is. “You sweep people away like dreams that disappear. They are like grass that springs up in the morning. In the morning it blooms and flourishes but by evening it is dry and withered.” As I look in the mirror each morning I am constantly aware of my withering. I think that is why the loss of my friend’s husband has awakened me again. As the holidays approach I am aware that I might have so few left. A friend I know always responds to people when they ask how she is doing. She responds, “Grateful and blessed.” What a great response. Even in our darkest days we have so much to be grateful for. Lord, I pray for my dear friend as she walks through another loss. I ask those who read my words to also pray for her. I also pray we all see how blessed we are during this holy season and that we express gratitude to all who bless our days. – Michele