January 27, 2022

When “I can’t” ......

If I call him “Jerry,” I will catch your attention better, so I will. Jerry was one of those who was different from his peers. The problem with Jerry was that his lifestyle and the words he spoke were contrary to what his peers wanted. Jerry had a God-focus that wasn’t at all popular, and instead of sitting demurely in some religiously acceptable corner, Jerry spoke up and endured the ridicule and bullying of his peers. Animosity turned to contempt, and contempt turned to hatred. With continual rejection and abuse, Jerry’s spirit begged for relief. Just so you know, Jerry’s struggle is recorded in the biblical book of Jeremiah. He cries out, “O, God, remember me and take care of me. Punish for me those who are hurting me. Don’t destroy me while you remain patient with them. Think about the shame I suffer for you. Your words came to me, and I listened carefully to them. Your words made me very happy, because I am called by your name, Lord God All-Powerful. I never sat with the crowd as they laughed and had fun. I sat by myself, because you were there, and you filled me with anger at the evil around me. I don’t understand why my pain has no end. I don’t understand why my injury is not cured or healed. Will you be like a brook that goes dry? Will you be like a spring that stops flowing?” Jeremiah’s heart cries out as my heart does, and your heart does, when our world is darkened and we attempt to cope, and yet, its brokenness deepens, and our spirits beg for relief. “O God, I can’t do this!!! I am trying, but I can’t!!!” And then we ask the same questions Jeremiah asked. “Why am I suffering??? When will it end??? O God, can I really count on You???” God’s response to Jeremiah assures him that God can when Jeremiah can’t. “Jeremiah, I will be the one to restore you. I will be your keeper and your rescuer. I will strengthen you. I am the presence you can count on – always and in all places.” The moments of “I can’t” abound from daily frustrations to health needs, financial needs, loneliness, marital and family needs. Failure, addiction, and loss can fragment our spirits as we attempt to cope, but we flounder instead in our own inabilities. Jeremiah cried out his need to his God and God responded. In the New Testament, the prodigal son returned home to his father and his father celebrated his coming. Our Father too is waiting for us to come – His arms are open – His provision is more than enough for the need – always – even when we are begging for relief. – Bev (Related Bible reading: Jeremiah 15:15-21)