December 28, 2023

Source of Strength

Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.” Grief has a way of zapping the life out of me. It seems as though I get a good night sleep, but I wake up in the morning and I’m not refreshed, in fact, I am bone tired. I am keenly aware of my weakness and of my neediness because in and of myself, I do not have the energy it takes to get up and go to work, much less to face the day. All I really want to do is pull the covers back over my head and isolate from the world. It is by sheer willpower that I get up and stumble into my prayer room, I turn my praise music on and sit down before the Lord. I am utterly dependent upon Him to infuse His power and His strength into me each and every day in order for me to make it through another one. I find it interesting that the Lord does not give me a huge dose of power at one time, but He seems to energizes me bit by bit, giving me just enough strength to keep me moving slowly forward. I have come to recognize that I need to be in constant contact with my Lord throughout the day; I must continuously lean into His power source in order to keep me from just throwing my hands up and giving up. Habakkuk 3:19 says, “The Sovereign LORD is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to tread on the heights.” The queries of the prophet Habakkuk represent some of the most fundamental questions in all of life, with answers providing crucial foundation stones on which to build a proper understanding of God’s character. The core of this book lies in the message that Habakkuk was called to trust God and it says in verse 2:4 that “the righteous shall live by his faith.” Faith is not a one-time act, but a way of life. Security and hope are not based on temporal blessings, but on the Lord Himself. As the sure-footed hind, or deer, scaled the precipitous mountain heights without slipping, so Habakkuk’s faith in the Lord enabled him to endure the hardships of the imminent invasion and all of his perplexing questions. A true believer, declared righteous by God, will persevere in faith as the pattern of his life. Psalm 50:15 says, “Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me." When I am at my lowest point, when the winds of change are whipping through the fibers of my life, when the seas are raging and I am consumed by the depths of despair, there is One who sees me, who I can call in the midst of my trouble; there is One who will deliver me and set my feet upon a solid rock and a firm foundation. There is One who establishes my footsteps and guides me, One who directs me and enables me to tread on the rocky road that is looming before me. When the storm clouds appear and the torrential rain falls, His Word says I am to “establish my heart” (James 5:8) in Him, which means, I must strengthen and make firm my inner life. I must develop a daily faith and a constant contact with my Lord and my Savior. Faith is defined as a firm belief and trust in something that we cannot see. It is God’s desire for each of us to be rooted and grounded, stable and secure in the truths of His Word. We can know Him and we can rely on His promise to us that He will meet all of our needs according to His riches and His glory. God offers us the opportunity to live out our lives inside a refuge that is His personal presence and when I recognize that I am utterly dependent upon Him for my strength and my source of hope, all will be well with my soul. -- Melody