July 30, 2026

Perfect Peace

Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You.” As a child, I did not come from a home where there was peace and as a result, I developed coping skills that I brought with me into my adult life. There was a self-preservation that began to occur at a very early age, and as I grew, I became self-sufficient and very responsible, and in time I became an over achiever who relied on my own accomplishments to obtain personal satisfaction and peace. I met with a sweet friend as a result of a project I was doing for a Bible study in the book of Ephesians, and 6:15 says, “and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” My mission was to find someone whose life was peace-filled, a person I admired who effectively applied the peace of God in her life. As I interviewed my friend, I began to realize I have never really experienced long lasting sustaining peace through every single circumstance and in the midst of difficult raging storms like she did, but that my peace had been something I had attempted to manufacture by creating an environment for myself that I thought was safe and secure. Phil. 4:6 -7, ”Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Peace is attainable, but the peace that only comes from God is an inner tranquility and calmness of the soul. I can have peace in my soul even with so much conflict going on around me; all I have to do is trust in Jesus. Here lies the problem, I have trust issues; I have been deeply wounded by people, and I don’t trust people, and my trust issues permeate into my relationship with the Lord. What I am learning is that I cannot experience the peace OF God without experiencing peace WITH God. It is not until I have completely submitted myself, totally, and radically abandoned myself to the Lordship of Jesus that I can have peace with God. As long as I am relying on my own self-sufficiency and fall back on my own self-preservation, I will continue to struggle with obtaining true peace in my life. Col. 3:15 says, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” I find it interesting that this scripture says to be thankful. One thing the Lord has always called me to do in the midst of any fiery trial is to offer up praise and thanksgiving to Him. 1 Thess. 5:18 says, “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” What I have come to understand is that trust fuels thanksgiving and thanksgiving activates peace. The Bible doesn’t say that we have to be thankful for what is occurring, but it does say to give thanks in all circumstances. The disciples are a perfect example of men who experienced the peace of God because they made a commitment to Him and their peace with God enabled them to sing while they were in prison, to rejoice when they suffered persecution, and the peace of God carried them through to the very end. That is the kind of peace that I want to have too. -- Melody