April 18, 2018

Thoughts Under the Umbrella

Philippians 1:20–21   “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

These verses recently have been in the forefront of my brain.  I am not sure why except I have felt a huge attack on my Christian faith in many areas of my life.  I have come to the realization that this is not necessarily a bad thing. It has made me take a more in-depth look on what and why I believe what I believe.  It has also compelled me to look at my own walk. 

As I take inventory of my life, I ask myself, “Can others see the difference Christ has made in the way I live my life?  Is my speech always gracious, seasoned with salt, so that I know how I ought to answer others?”  Actions always speak louder than words. What I do can erase any good  I might speak. How do I conduct myself when I am with others but also by myself?  Am I a person who sees a need and steps up to fulfill that need?   1 John 3:17 asks this question, “If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?”  How do I love?  Do I love with strings attached or do I love others no matter who they are or what they have done.  Do I love unconditionally and offer grace to others?

When I ask my three-year-old granddaughter a question and she doesn’t know the answer, she will say to me, “Grandma, I can’t know.” I was thinking about her answer when it comes to others being asked the question about me as a Christian. Would they remember me as a person who touched their life in some small way?  If someone were to ask if I was a follower of Christ, would someone else give the answer my granddaughter gives me.  Would they see Christ living in me or would their answer be, “I can’t know.” 

Lord, I know I often fall short of representing Your love. I ask You to help me see my shortcomings and point me in the direction of living boldly for You.

                                                                                                        – Michele