May 23, 2018

The Sufficiency of God

Life is more likely to destroy than it is to fulfill.  It is a maze of unmet expectations, relationships that fail, hurts that mete out despair, conflicts that anger, sin that shames, and inner feelings of confusion and chaos.  The believer is not exempt from life’s destructions.  The stories are agonizingly varied, but the life affected fights back in futile ways, apart from the God who longs to give life that pulsates with love, purpose, acceptance, forgiveness, direction, certainty, and peace.  How do we miss it?  Why is it that even as a Christian I look for answers every place except with God?

The realities of life stand in stark contrast with the race Scripture compares the Christian life with -- a race that is intended to be run with freedom.  The comparison seems most applicable to the runner who sprints with ease in the cool of the morning, wholly concentrating, wholly committed, with even the freedom of the wind against his muscles invigorating and captivating his spirit so as to draw him ever forward.  Reality though sees the Christian stumbling, instead of running, weighed down, instead of free, hobbling backwards, instead of stretching for the goal.  The gains are all too often overshadowed by the failures, and the pace is slowed or an attempt is made to sit out for a few laps.            

God’s challenge to run in freedom is not an abstract impossibility.  God’s desire is for us to know the truth that will free us to run in total abandonment.  God’s Word tells us of Himself.  It tells us of life in Christ that is free.  It gives the answers to harsh realities.  The truth we need is not new, but we do perhaps need to see it in a fresh way and apply it to our lives, not just to bring about an outward conformity, but to effect a total transformation of the inner person.  

Colossians 2:10 says I am “full” or “complete.”  “Complete” is a nautical term and carries with it the understanding that I have everything I need for the journey I am embarking on.  My journey is the race God has set before me.  Whatever provision I need is mine!  God can enable me to get rid of what I don’t need, and He wants to give me what I do need.  He is truth and He can guide me into all that is true.  Truth frees.  My position in Christ as God’s child makes the sufficiency of God – mine.  We say the words, but when the race is uncertain, we question and we doubt.  As we learn how to run in freedom, my prayer is that you will also learn to affirm and live out the life-changing truth that God is sufficient.

                                                                                                                                – Bev

(Related Bible reading: Colossians 2:6-10; 2 Corinthians 12:9,10)