November 18, 2020

A Gentle Whisper

1 Kings 19:11-12 “The LORD said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.’ Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.” As we get to know our Good Shepherd, we will come to realize when He calls us. His calling is typically not through big events, or earth shattering circumstances, but is most likely in a still small voice, so small that often times we miss His calling. We are so busy with life and things that we have planned out for ourselves. We have our electronics going; the television or the music drowning out any possibility of hearing Him, but when He calls you, it is always worth listening because you may miss the most important voice of all. Just after the death of my son, in my quiet time with the Lord, He spoke to my heart and gave me this scripture: "Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) I had to stop and believe that what was happening in my life was greater than how I was feeling at the moment, but most of all the Lord wanted me to stop, to be still and to know that He is my God and that only He would get me through this deep dark valley I was about to enter. And because I was obedient to His calling, I have been able to hear His still small voice. I have stopped every time He has called me and I have listened to what He has to say to me. God had a great plan for Jeremiah before he was even born; God had a calling on his life, and God said to him, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." (Jer. 1:5) I believe each and every one of us have a calling on our life, but sadly, we miss that calling when we never stop to listen to Him. God has a plan for each and every one of us and He’s had that plan for you before you drew your first breath; He has given you talents and abilities that He wants to use for His glory, for the furtherance of His kingdom. Your purpose in life was decided in Heaven before you were even born. If we are not listening and obeying the life God has given us, it may be because we have cluttered our mind with confusing thoughts and worries. How much time have we wasted on senseless, mundane things while we should be absolutely free to concentrate on our service to Him? Consecration is the act of continually separating myself for everything God has appointed me to do. John 10:3-4 says, “The gatekeeper opens the gate for Him, and the sheep listen to His voice. He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out. When He has brought out all His own, He goes on ahead of them, and His sheep follow Him because they know His voice.” Once we have heard the voice of God, we need to follow. The word “follow” means to deliberately decide to comply with instruction and throughout the scriptures God has called us to die to ourselves and to follow Him. That is the simple message of the gospel. When our Shepherd speaks, it is for our benefit and it is always worth obeying. When He says “Go this way,” it is because He has green pastures and still waters for you. He is protecting you from potential danger; He is showing us a place to hide, a place to heal; He is our rock and our fortress, a strong tower that we can run into, a place of encouragement, a place of refuge, and His still small voice is a whisper of comfort, a confidant and a caring heart who knows you by name and who sees you, every tear that is shed and every heart that is lonely. – Melody