March 23, 2024

Delight in God’s Word

Isaiah 66:2 “Has not My hand made all these things, and so they came into being? declares the LORD. These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at My word.” I have been truly enjoying and delighting in God’s Word these past months. It’s almost as if the Lord has taken me from a vast dry desert wasteland into a lush tropical oasis where I can picture myself dangling my feet into a refreshing bubbling stream. Over the past year, my Lord has showered me with words of comfort, He is instilling in me a supernatural healing balm that has woven into my soul hope, perspective and purpose that I had never had before, even before my son passed away. I have been soaking God’s truth into the broken and empty places of my heart, saturating myself daily with the Living Water that has finally brought me to a place of worship and praise. It’s taken awhile to get here, but ultimately it was the emptiness and the hole in my soul that it took to bring me to my knees, to a place of utter submission and total surrender to my Lord. I have come to understand that God is looking for a heart to dwell in, a heart that is tender and broken, not one concerned with the externalities of religion. God is looking to dwell in the heart of a person who loves and thrives on His Word, one who has been broken beyond repair. He has revealed His love for me in my brokenness in a way far greater than I could have ever asked or imagined. Psalm 34:18 says, “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” I have found myself totally dependent upon my Lord for my daily survival, from one moment to the next; with every breath that I take, I am living and breathing in His Word. My daily prayer has been, “What now Lord; what would You have me do next?” I want so desperately to understand His purpose in all that has occurred; my spirit within me is crying for relief from the overwhelming pain and sorrow I have experienced from losing my child. I have been humbled to the core and crushed by the weight of my brokenness and pain. Yet it has been in these deep dark valleys that I have found my true peace, I have found strength and the ability to rise up out of the pit and begin my journey to the mountaintop once more. Ephesians 4:13-14 tells us that He has been equipping us so that we will “reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching.” Oneness and harmony in the body of Christ is possible when and if we each individually become one with our God. We were never meant to be alone on this planet. Our God wants every single believer to manifest the qualities of His Son who Himself is the standard for our spiritual maturity and perfection. When I am grounded in God’s Word and the knowledge of who He really is, I will have discernment when the waves come crashing down and when my world falls apart. There is no one on this earth who can comprehend the depths of my journey except for my Lord and I must come to a place where I know beyond a shadow of doubt who God really is so that I can attain the fullness of Christ, so I will be able to survive the tornados that blow into my world and threaten to bring me to my knees. After all, He created everything that we are encountering. He brings the winds and rains, He causes the sun to rise and to set, and “He made the storm be still and the waves of the sea were hushed.” (Psalm 107:29) His hands have made all things, and everything that has come into being has been declared by Him and I believe that ultimately He will use it all to His glory, forever and ever. Amen. – Melody