November 18, 2018

Intimacy with God


Psalm 42:1-2  “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the Living God.  When can I go and meet with God?”

I was walking to my car from the beach in Coronado with my sweet golden retriever when a text message came through to my phone from my sister, saying, “Please pray; my son just called; they can’t find the heartbeat.”  My nephew’s wife was 30 weeks into her pregnancy.  This would be my sister’s first grandchild, and she had moved from Missouri to Arizona in anticipation of his arrival.  My heart skipped a beat, and as I caught my breath, there was a sinking feeling in my gut.  Although my sister was a believer, her relationship with the Lord was tenuous, at best, but one thing she did know about me is that, whenever she asked, she knew I would stop whatever I was doing and I would pray.  I asked my friend who had been with me at the dog beach if she minded if I called my sister to pray with her, and of course, as I began to pray for my frantic and distraught sibling, my girlfriend was right there, praying with me, calling on the Lord to rain down His peace upon this horrible situation.  As I sat down on the grass and closed my eyes to come before my Heavenly Father, scenes flashed before me to the weeks and days leading up to my own son’s death, instances where I knew the Lord was speaking gently into the center of my being, preparing me for what was about to come, not wanting to believe it, but knowing in my heart that I would not be bringing my son home from the hospital.  I pushed those thoughts away, willing this not to be about me, but thinking about my nephew’s wife and what she was about to go through, right here and right now, and as I started to pray with my sister, the Lord gave me a glimpse of my niece in the hospital, and instantly, I knew exactly what I needed to do to intercede on her behalf.  I didn’t know her very well, but the Lord was revealing to me bits and pieces of her, enough to know that she needed to be bathed in prayer, she needed protection, she needed a shield about her, and she, my nephew and my sister all needed the Lord, not just this one time, but they all needed His angels and His warriors to be encamped around them as a safeguard for what was about to come.  Yes, mostly they all just needed Him.

1 Peter 1:6 says, “In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.”  For the past three years, even though I have longed and desired in the depths of my soul to have a deeper and more intimate relationship with the Lord, even though I am head over heels in love with Him, my need for Him is abundant and so incredibly significant, if I am truly honest and transparent, I will tell you my deepest darkest secret -- I don’t always like God and there are times I struggle in trusting Him that what is occurring is really in my best interest.  I don’t like it that my great nephew just died; I don’t like it that my son was disabled; I don’t like it that my friend just died from cancer; I don’t like it that mothers are grieving for their lost children; I don’t like it that we have to suffer many trials and tribulations on this earth. And yes, if I’m really truthful, I don’t want to endure the sorrow, the pain, the loneliness and the devastating fallout that has occurred as a result of the death of my son. Here’s a spoiler alert -- He already knows how I feel and He takes great joy in the fact that I’m honest with Him. Because if you really think about it, I bet you anything, at the heart of every single agnostic, at the root of all atheistic people, at the foundation of every ambivalent person who has walked away from an intimate relationship with a loving and benevolent God, is an unanswered prayer or a deep-rooted anger toward our Heavenly Father for not coming through for them when they needed Him most.

John 16:33 says, "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  We are citizens of Heaven and we don’t belong here on this Earth; this is not our home and we are just passing through. The Bible tells us we will have tribulation, we will have pain, we will have heartache, and we will have death. So the question I have for you is this.  Where do you find your peace?  What is hindering you from developing a deep, genuine, personal, intimate relationship with our Heavenly Father?  True intimacy means you have a hunger and a thirst to get to know God; you have a longing in your heart to cultivate a relationship with Him, and you are not satisfied until you truly know Him on a deeper level.  But how can you be intimate with someone you really don’t trust or even like very much?  How do you get past your thoughts that sometimes this life really sucks and all of this is all just way too hard?  I will tell you how. You consistently spend time getting to know Him.  Spending time with the person Jesus Christ, being honest with Him, brutally honest and transparent, having a desire and a thirst to be intimate with Him, seeking Him with all of your heart, your mind and your soul, earnestly yearning for Him, is the key to developing trust in Him.  My soul thirsts and pants for the Living God.  Where can I go to meet Him?  He is right here, right now, He sees me, He knows me, He is for me, He loves me and He sees every tear that falls.  He knows me more intimately than anyone else on the face of this planet, and all I have to do is look up and He will meet me right where I am and He will fill me with His peace and I will be satisfied that He is enough just for today.

                                                                                       – Melody