March 19, 2019

Thoughts Under the Umbrella

Psalm 116:8   “For you, Lord, have delivered me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling.”

My three-year-old granddaughter had just started preschool two days a week.  Her dad dropped her off every morning on his way to work.  Every morning, there was a tearful good-bye as she watched him walk out of the room.  This continued day after day.  One day he picked her up in his arms and asked her, “Finley, why do you cry when I drop you off?   Don’t you like going to school?”  With tears in her eyes, she looked at him and said, “It takes too long until I get to see you again.”  My son-in-law said it took all he had within him to not take her with him to work.  Daily he reassured her that he loved her and would be back to pick her up.  Through his daily faithfulness,  she began to understand that at the end of the day he would not leave her, and she began to find enjoyment and a purpose in her day at preschool.  My granddaughter’s words and feelings express exactly how we who have lost our children feel.  It has been over 20 years since I have hugged my daughter and heard her sweet voice.  Sometimes it seems like yesterday, but most of the time it seems like forever.  I can remember a month after she went home to be with the Lord, waking up one morning and thinking it has been one month since I have seen my daughter; the pain was unbearable and I thought that pain would encompass every waking moment for the rest of my life.  How could I continue to go on the rest of my life in this grief and how could I live without seeing her?   I too have seen the faithfulness in my Father.  He has kept His promises.  He daily reassures me, He loves me, He has a plan for me, and He will never leave me or forsake me.  I too will not be left here, but will go home with Him to a place called Heaven.

Lord, You are faithful in Your promises and in that, we can stand.  Life here on earth is done in a blink of an eye.  Eternity with You and our child will last forever. 

                     – Michele